Friday, July 16, 2010

I hate the desert!


Left Ontario around seven this morning trying to beat the heat, which was supposed to reach the low one-hundreds. The plan was to meet Nik at Burns Junction around 10-11am. I got to the junction around 9-930 and waited there for about 2 hours. This junction had absolutely nothing except for this old abandoned gas station. Luckily it provided a little bit of shade in the miserable dry desert heat. While I was waited there a older mexican ranch-hand showed up waiting to pick up his partner who was coming from the other direction. We chit chatted for a bit and he was generous enough to give me some sort of cherry danish hah. This saved my life since I didn't have any water or food. Once Nik got there around 12 we headed out towards Bend. If any of you have ever traveled this rout you know that is absolutely dead straight the whole way and nothing but shitty sage brush and dirt. The winds were blowing like crazy and made it a lot rougher than it would normally be. This 267 mile trip from the junction to Bend seemed to take ages. Very glad to be making progress towards the Oregon coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment